Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What's cookin...




Stephanie @ Keeper of the Home is hosting what I consider a "Yummy" idea. The Healthy Holiday Eats and Sweets Carnival is all about good food for the holiday time. Who said that healthy food had to be drab? So blog hop on over to Keeper of the Home and check out all the recipes. I have mention two below that will be at my Christmas table. 

Sweet Potato Maple Cups
Cook 3-4 sweet potatoes however you wish (I like to boil mine) until tender. You can peel them or leave the peel on, doesn't matter either way. Add about 1/3-1/2 cup of butter, 1/3-1/2 cup of pure maple syrup, 4 tsp orange zest or orange juice,  and 1 tsp salt - mix until creamy. You can also add in cinnamon and nuts. YUM! At this point I put mine into individual baking cups but an 8x8 baking dish also works well. 

Beat 4 egg whites and unrefined sugar (to taste, the original recipe call for 1/2 cup but that is way too much for me) until stiff peaks form. Add to the top of the sweet potatoes, this takes the place of marshmallows on the top. 

Bake at 400 for about 10min or until the egg whites are golden brown.

Cinnamon Oranges
Peel 4-5 navel oranges, core, and separate. Mix 2 table orange juice, 2 table lemon juice, 1 table unrefined sugar, and 1/4 tea cinnamon. Toss and serve chilled.

I hope you enjoy these and all the other recipes submitted. Let me know which one your family liked the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails