Friday, November 20, 2009

A couple tablespoons a day keeps the Doctor away!!!

{Update} Here are some pictures of the last batch I made...


***Caution***
Never turn the blender on before putting the lid on. You will end up with a mess.



The finished project. I bought this bottle at Target and it works perfect for pouring out the  syrup.





Every mom knows that this time of year is hard. The kids are getting excited about the holidays coming up, you have lots of shopping, cooking, wrapping, planning, and cleaning to do. Add a mom who works outside the home on top of that and your time (and patience) is running thin. Who has time for a cough? Sometimes you child may not be sick but just have a cough that you can't get rid of. Many times I have whisked Haily off to the Dr. just to be told to buy an over the counter cough syrup (YUCK) and wait it out. Do they work? Not generally and they are full of artificial junk. TWO THUMBS DOWN! I have started using a recipe that I found online. It's simple to make, doesn't taste worse than the store bought (notice I didn't say it tastes better) and it's all natural. Try it next time that pesky cough comes around...


You will need:
1 bunch of radishes
1 red onion
1 head of garlic
3-4 lemons
1 cup of honey


I have adjusted my recipe from this one to my taste.


Directions: Chop the greens off the radishes and wash really, really well then chop 3-4 of them. Peel and chop 1/2 onion. Peel 3 cloves of garlic. Juice 3-4 lemons. Add all to a blender and whip it, whip it good (I know you're singing along too). When mixed, add 1 cup honey (I use raw but any will work). You should have a lovely shade of bright red syrup. Depending on your blender you might need to strain (so it's not gritty). This can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

Take 2 tablespoons about 3 times a day.

Here is another source of homemade recipes for coughs.

Honey is used to sooth sore throats
Garlic acts as an antibiotic with vitamins and minerals
Onion has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
Radishes have been used as an alternative for whooping cough

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails