Sunday, August 9, 2009

Back to basics

Over the last several months I have been trying to get back to the basics in life. Things like making my own bread so that my family is getting more of the natural nutrients, canning food from my own garden, mixing up batches of laundry soap, etc. So when I arrived at church last Wednesday my dear Aunt Amy gave me a copy of The Backyard Homestead.

I have to say that I LOVE this book. I doesn't go into too much detail but gives you a little information on many different topics so you will know whether it's something you might want to try. The book is helpful in explaining the practicality of growing certain things as oppose to buying them, the space needed for vegetation and livestock, and how to preserve the fruits of your labor.

The first thing on my list is to make a bigger garden for next year. I would also like to plant the cold and flu herb garden. I already have many of the herbs needed in my current herb garden. Hopefully one day I will be able to put to use the chapter on chickens (yes, I really want chickens).

What are some ways you are going "back to basics" on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails