Thursday, September 6, 2012

Hanging out with some Angry Birds

It's been awhile since I've hung out here. I have been busy canning, preserving, nesting, getting a little lady ready for 8th grade, keeping a 1 1/2 yr old occupied and out of trouble, oh...and growing a baby! Time gets away from me way too fast. That's who I am and I don't foresee that changing.

Along those line-I have a dear friend who's little boy loves angry birds. Everytime I see him he asks to play it on my phone...problem is...I have an old school phone and we refuse to pay for a data plan with Ver*zon  so I wanted to make him his very own angry birds game. I found this post and went into brainstorm mode-his birthday is at the end of December.

I knew I had stuff that's hidden so the husbs doesn't throw it away laying around that I could use to make the game. I found some formula cans to use and I had plenty of paints to use. I couldn't find a red ball anywhere so I decided to use some red felt for a bean/rice bag. Supplies check, time??? Now fast forward 9 months because his birthday came and went :( I always have good intentions of getting homemade projects done on time but it only happens about half the time (hoping the homemade factor cancels the late factor). He just started Kindergarten and I knew this would be a perfect little gift for him.

Instead of trying to paint the cans, I covered them with construction paper and taped them on. I had intentions of gluing them on but the glue sticks were in the basement and I was upstairs-with the tape :) I am by no means a painter but I followed the picture and when I messed up just painted over the mistake and tried again. After the paint had dried I covered everything with a coat of matte modge podge. For the bean/rice bag, I traced a circle with a small glass bowl and stitched along the line. I left an opening so that when I cut the circle out, I could flip it right side out. Since I had rice on hand and used that to fill the bag then I whip stitched the opening closed. Following the picture again painted an angry looking bird. About the time I cleaned the last of the paint out of the brush my little guy woke up. He made a bee line and stuck his little fingers right on top of the bird-BOO! I repainted and made sure to stick it up higher this time!!! I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I dropped the finally finished game off so it would be there waiting on him after his first day of school. He will love it - I have no doubt!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails